Top
  /  World   /  Greece quarantines second migrant camp after COVID-19 case confirmed

Greece quarantines second migrant camp after COVID-19 case confirmed

ATHENS Greece provides quarantined an additional migrant center on the mainland after the 53-year-old male tested beneficial for the brand-new coronavirus, this migration ministry said in Sunday.

The Afghan man lives together with family on the Malakasa get away along with countless asylum seekers. He has been saved in a hospital in Athens.

Tests on his contacts can continue since the public health company tries to trace the route of the virus.

On Thursday, specialists quarantined this Ritsona get away in core Greece after 20 tested positive for that coronavirus. It was the first such facility inside Greece being hit because the outbreak in the disease.

Greece was the most important gateway into your European Union over a million persons fleeing turmoil in 2015-16. More than a hundred and ten, 000 men and women currently are now living in migrant facilities across the country – 40, 000 of them inside overcrowded camps on six islands.

“The number (of migrants and refugees) is very large, therefore it is a given, mathematically, that there will be confirmed cases, ” Migration Minister Notis Mitarachi informed Skai TV. “We have an emergency plan in place… But it is more difficult to implement it on the islands. ”

No cases happen to be recorded throughout camps with Greek islands so far.

The traditional government wishes to replace just about all existing campement on of the islands with closed detention zones, but its plans have been met with resistance through local authorities and even residents who wish all features shut.

Aid groupings have advised Greece in order to evacuate the particular camps, warning the risk of this fast-moving malware spreading among people living in squalid conditions is usually high plus containing a good outbreak such settings can be “impossible”.

The camp in Malakasa, 40km (25 miles) northeast of Athens, will be put into quarantine for two weeks, the ministry said on Sunday, adding police guarding the site would be reinforced to ensure the restrictions are implemented.

A separate, enclosed facility started operating last month for migrants who arrived after March 1, the ministry said.

Greece recorded its first case of the new coronavirus at the end of February. Since then, it has confirmed 1, 673 cases of COVID-19 and 68 deaths.

It has imposed a nationwide lockdown and banned arrivals from non-EU countries as well as Germany, Britain, Italy and Spain. The measures have hit its economy which is relying on tourism for a recovery after a decade-long debt crisis.

Finance Minister Christos Staikouras reiterated on Sunday the economy was expected to shrink by about 3-4% this year, but added Greece had a 37-billion euro ($40 billion) cash buffer that it could tap into to support it.